Thursday, October 15, 2009

Fail Harder

I belong to one of those online communities that's very large (for an online community) and very diverse. Recently, there's been a lot going on in that community about privilege and pointing out when people are "being privileged" (a more polite way of saying point out "Hey, that thing you just did/said/wrote was kind of racist/classist/homophobic/transphobic/etc"). And so you get posts like this one, which make me literally angry with rage:
I'm all over trying to make [community] (the world) a better place. As I said above in my post, I believe that all of these issues are important. In addition to their importance, I'm tired of being lectured on them ad nauseaum. Granted, that's fun and [community] fun for some people. Good for them. It's not fun for me.
(bolding and things within brackets mine)
Holy shit you guys. She's found out our big secret. Pointing out people's race/gender/trans/class/etc!fail is fun. That's why we do it! It's not because it hurts to see well-meaning people saying stupid shit, it's because it's fun!

I don't know about you, but when the TV is telling me only middle class+ people are deserving of human rights, and people in this community parrot the old "If only you worked harder" line, I'm having fun.

And hey, being told that the only thing I'm good for is servicing men in whatever way they require, and that if I don't then whatever happens to me is my own damn fault? Well fuck me with a pogo stick that's the most fun of all!

Jeez, never mind how apparently all my friends are good for is raping/stealing/murdering!

BOY HOWDY I AM HAVING SO MUCH FUCKING FUN I'M BLEEDING FROM MY EYES AND EARS.

I don't know if anyone's picked up on my subtle message here, so let me spell it out: Pointing out -isms and -phobia isn't fucking fun.

Are you seriously trying to tell me that if someone said something insulting to you/about you/near you, that you would just sit down, shut up, and ignore it? Did you actually think before letting that vile filth spill out of your mouth, or were you too busy crying in your cushy middle class white girl seat because your life is so hard and people are so mean to you and you don't deserve any of that.

So hey, let me wave around my fucking torch and pitchfork. I mean, god forbid you have to acknowledge that you said or did something shitty, that's just asking. Too. Much. God forbid you're expected to be a decent human being! I don't know what I was thinking!

Jesus fucking christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment